Land O' Lakes Lodge in CLOSED permanently: Land O' Lakes Lodge is now a summer camp for kids.
My name is Gary. I live a short distance from Crotch Lake. I run an Internet business specializing in designing websites for tourism businesses with a main focus on fishing lodges. It's my full-time job but I do have time to guide. I bring you to the hotspots and show you what baits and techniques are working at that time of year. Weather you are staying in local accommodations or just coming for the day we will have a lot of fun
Bookings: Please email me or you can phone me at (613) 335-5383.
How Long is the Day:
I am very flexible as far as how long the day is. A standard full day is usually fishing until you have had enough...lol...
• Full day is $175 US or $220 CND - usually 8 to 10 hours depending on the time of year and the length of the day in regards to sunlight.
• Half day is $110 US or $140 CND - usually 4 to 5 hours.
Please Note: The price of everything has skyrocketed. Gas, outboard motor oil, worms etc...etc... have doubled in price in 2022. If things stay the same I will be moving my rate up to $250 CND for a full day in 2023.
It's $30 to $35 for two guests depending on what I need to buy. For bigger groups we can work something out with the cost of buying extra food. I only make shore lunch on full day guides.
I have a 16.5' Naden Big Fish with a 15hp Mercury Motor. I have brand new seats, which I installed on June 18/2022. I can only take two adults with me and maybe a child. If you have a larger group; your friends can follow us in other boats.
Walleyes need to be between 16" and 19.5" to keep. Anything smaller or bigger must be let go. This new style of regulation is working wonders as far as the Walleye population increasing. The fishing gets better every day. You can keep 4 with a sports license and 2 with a conservation license.
Factors Affecting the Walleye Bite:
• Full moon and clear skies at night means the Walleyes feed all night long. As a result they will not start feeding again until the afternoon, sometimes late afternoon and sometimes not at all.
• All fish will be hard to catch for a couple of days after the Dragon Fly Hatch. (Usually the end of May)
• All fish will be hard to catch for a few days after the May Fly Hatch (usually a week after the first full moon in June. It usually lasts three days.)
• All fish will be hard to catch when the pine trees start pollinating (right at the first full moon in June, which is around the 10th.)
• Walleyes are very hard to catch when the wind is coming from the east, north-east or south-east. When the wind comes from the west; fish bite the best. When the wind comes from the east; fish bite the least. That is especially true on Crotch Lake.
• On days when it's brutally hot with no clouds and no wind the Walleyes will go deep; sometimes as deep as 50 feet. You have to fish deep. BUT!!! I have had some of my very best Walleye fishing on these terrible days. In 2019 I went out with my buddy thinking we would not catch a Walleye with a gun to our heads. That day we caught close to forty Walleye and came in after running out of worms. Crotch Lake is a strange lake and has a lot of surprises; both good and bad.
The perfect Walleye day is a steady 10 MPH wind coming from the west, lots of cloud cover but not clouds from a low pressure system and no rain. Walleyes will go into a feeding frenzy right before a thunderstorm. When it starts raining they shut right down and will not start feeding again until after the low pressure system has been pushed out of the area.
Washrooms on Crotch Lake: Crotch Lake is within the North Frontenac Parklands and has recently been classified as a biodiversity wilderness region and is now fully protected. Hundreds of people each year canoe down the Mississippi River and stop and camp on Crotch Lake for a night or two. There are many backcountry campsites dotted along the shore of the lake. Each campsite has an "Out", which is an outhouse without the house part. Some people call them thunder boxes. Each campsite will have a trail leading to the out, which is placed in a spot for privacy. In most cases it is easy to find an empty campsite where you can go if you need to.
My father was a fishing fanatic. As a kid I grew up freezing cold standing in the middle of the Saugeen River casting for Rainbow Trout in early spring & late fall. My mom was a high school teacher and had summers off so she and I spent many summers at the cottage (Pigeon Lake near Bobcaygeon) where all I did was fish for Walleye, Musky & bass. During high school I started guiding for lodges in the far north and eventually found myself at a 5-star fly-in fishing lodge about 600 miles north-west of Thunder Bay, where I worked for many seasons. I guided along side many Cree guides who showed me a lot of Walleye fishing tricks.
On Crotch Lake I like to focus on Walleye. There is also great bass and pike fishing but most people hire me to get the Walleyes because even though there are tons and tons of Walleyes in the lake; they can be tricky to catch because they are always on the move. The reason they are always on the move is because the water level in Crotch Lake slowly drops all summer as they let more water into the river to keep water levels high enough for canoeing down stream. I still guide for pike and bass if that is what you want.
You cannot under any circumstances have open alcohol in the boat. The fines in Ontario for open alcohol in a boat are monstrous.
I only accept cash. I supply the gas for my boat & worms for the people in my boat. In most cases guests are using and losing my fishing tackle. I have a really good Nikon camera and will take high-quality photos (16 megapixel) of you and your fish.